The Finance Manager is a key team player within Steppenwolf’s general management team. Reporting to the Finance Director, the Finance Manager supports the business by maintaining the backbone of Steppenwolf’s accounting and reporting systems. The Finance Manager is responsible for conducting efficient month-end closes, including providing reports and analysis for Steppenwolf’s diverse constituents. The Finance Manager is a key force in maintaining processes and conducting reviews to ensure that Steppenwolf’s controls are being followed, leading to accurate and timely financial reporting.
Areas of Responsibility:
· Prepare journal entries outlined on the monthly close checklist
· Reconcile fixed asset schedule to general ledger
· Prepare balance sheet schedules
· Prepare bank and investment reconciliations
· Collect information and prepare entries for one-time transactions as needed
· Perform analytical procedures at month-end to identify unusual activity or patterns in transactions, raising issues to the Finance Director as appropriate
· Assist Finance Director with development and compilation of the annual operating budget
· Enter budgets into accounting software and reconcile to annual operating budget
Accounting and General Ledger System
· Hold primary responsibility for maintenance and upkeep of general ledger and chart of accounts
· Prepare reports and analyses from accounting system to monitor and track charges and expenditures on a monthly basis or as needed
· Keep Finance Director aware of potential problem areas or opportunities noted in analyses
· Oversee correction of any inaccuracies discovered
· Review accounts payable sessions weekly and reconcile to general ledger
· Reconcile accounts payable transactions to electronic requisition transactions
· Ensure clean cut-off of expenditures from month-to-month
· Review payroll sessions weekly and as needed
· Prepare cash requirements report for cash planning
· Prepare invoices for miscellaneous events held at the Theatre
· Record invoices in accounting and monitor collections
· Prepare and maintain schedules for annual financial statement audit
· Assist Finance Director with financial statement audit prep as needed
· Assist Finance Director with Workers Compensation audit prep as needed
Successful candidates will:
· Have experience in a non-profit office (preferred), with the responsibilities listed above
· Working knowledge of US GAAP and fund accounting
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs with Excel being the priority
· Experience with MIP Fund Accounting a plus
· Ability to juggle moving priorities and be a team player
· Excellent attention to detail, keen organizational skills, and accuracy in managing data and deadlines
· The ability to handle multiple tasks at one time and a capacity to work independently
· Effective communication with supervisors and colleagues on the status and priority of assignments
· Ability to organize, analyze, present, and communicate finance data
· Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion
· Commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigrant status
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is the nation’s premier ensemble theater. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Anna D. Shapiro is the Artistic Director and David Schmitz is the Executive Director.
For additional information, visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolftr and Instagram.com/steppenwolftr.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company strives to create thrilling, courageous, and provocative art in a thoughtful and inclusive environment. We succeed when we disrupt your routine with experiences that spark curiosity, empathy and joy. We invite you to join our ensemble as we navigate, together, our complex world.
Steppenwolf Core Values:
Equity + Inclusion
Integrity + Curiosity
Courage + Collaboration
Accountability + Leadership
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by December 20, 2019.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE.