For over 40 years, Steppenwolf Theatre Company has been a cultural leader in Chicago and model for theatre companies in the United States and around the world. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble represents a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors, stage managers and playwrights. Steppenwolf’s artistic ambitions are made possible by its incredible workforce of individuals, who help create a culture of inclusivity, collaboration and accountability. To that end, we attempt to use an anti-oppressive and anti-racist lens in our roles and everyday decision-making. Join us in this ongoing process, as we navigate, together, our complex world.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time seasonal position of Sound Technician with a focus on running of shows. The Sound Technician works as part of the sound team and is responsible for assisting in installing of audio systems for each production and serving as sound engineer for performances. This position reports to the Sound Supervisor. The work schedule varies, often including evening and weekend hours.
Areas of Responsibility:
· Collaborate with the rest of the sound team to help plan and install sound systems for each production including rehearsal needs
· Serves as sound engineer for performances.
· Create and maintain paperwork of performance run tasks
· Attend production meetings and respond to notes
· Test and maintain sound, video and audio monitoring, access, and communication systems
· Provide sound support for special events and meetings.
· Mentor apprentices and interns.
· Keep up to date of technical advances and training in the field.
· 1-3 years of experience working in a professional theater and/or other live audio environments.
· Advanced audio knowledge, including system patching and Dante, speaker installation, mic placement, rigging practices, and computer networking of audio equipment
· Experience in programming Qlab and familiar with the Yamaha CL5 mix board or similar digital boards
· Experience with ProTools or Logic
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to collaborate and support designers
· Ability to work independently
· Working knowledge of power tools and hand tools
· Strong organizational skills and ability to create and maintain clear paperwork
· Ability to lift and carry objects weighing 50+ lbs, climb heights
· Ability to work long hours with a flexible schedule
· Demonstrated ability to remain flexible and solution driven in an environment of ever-changing priorities
· Creative problem solving and a general curiosity/openness to continual learning and growth
· Commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigrant status.
This is a Full Time Seasonal Position with a salary range of $759 to $826 per week with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program. Contract weeks will vary by season from 35-45 weeks.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is the nations premier ensemble theater. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicagos diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Audrey Francis and Glenn Davis are the Artistic Directors and E. Brooke Flanagan is the Executive Director.
For additional information, visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolfthtr and instagram.com/steppenwolfthtr.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company strives to create thrilling, courageous, and provocative art in a thoughtful and inclusive environment. We succeed when we disrupt your routine with experiences that spark curiosity, empathy and joy. We invite you to join our ensemble as we navigate, together, our complex world.
Steppenwolf Core Values:
Equity + Inclusion
Integrity + Curiosity
Courage + Collaboration
Accountability + Leadership
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.
Apply at the link below.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.