Part Time House Manager
On an ongoing basis, Audience Experience at Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the part-time position of House Manager. Steppenwolf Audience Experience is dedicated to helping everyone coming through our doors feel safe, relaxed and invited. Through presenting an intentional and sincere level of service and hospitality, these positions participate in a team that is committed to cultivating a comfortable and respectful environment that upholds the dignity and experience of our audience, colleagues and guests.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Shift supervisor responsible for leading a 7-10 person part-time team to manage public performances
- Trains and supervises volunteer ushers
- Writes nightly performance reports
- Serves as an escalated point of contact and information for our audience, engaging them as a friendly, courteous, professional representative of the theatre
- Leads part time team in maintaining the lobby and theatre spaces (including the elevator lobby and restrooms) for safety, cleanliness, functionality and presentation
- Liaises with the stage manager to coordinate timeline and execution of performances and special events
- assists patrons with accessibility requirements
- coordinates with the box office to resolve ticketing conflicts
- communicates via radio with other staff members to convey patron issues and ensure smooth operations
- Cash management and end of night cash reconciliation
- Helps coordinate emergency response (calling first responders, rendering aid, leading evacuations)
Successful candidates will:
- Commit to an equitable work environment, which includes use of gender inclusive language; support for individual gender expression, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration; accessibility for people with disabilities; and cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrate compassion, which includes genuinely caring about colleagues and guests alike; showing sympathy for the plights of others; exhibiting empathy for the experience of everyone in the room.
- Maintain personal composure, which includes demonstrating maturity; remaining cool under pressure; not becoming defensive or irritated when presented with challenging or unexpected situations; handling stress without showing frustration; serving as a settling influence in tense situations.
- Comfortably and effectively cope with change and ambiguity, which includes effectively transitioning between tasks and timelines; identifying priorities and making good decisions with a minimum of information; staying relaxed when things are uncertain; confidently managing risk and uncertainty.
- Exhibit interpersonal savvy, which includes relating comfortably to a variety of personalities; cultivating and maintaining positive relationships; employing diplomacy and tact; defusing high-tension situations; seeking the positive in all situations.
- Prior experience working in a high-volume customer service setting, preferably as a Front of House Manager
- A minimum of one year experience supervising part time teams
- Fast, efficient service techniques in peak service times
- A relaxed appearance and tone when interacting with guests and colleagues, which includes maintaining an unhurried pace and level modulation of voice and volume
- Effective, improvisational problem solving in ever-changing situations
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to work 15-25 hours a week
- Consistent availability on evenings and weekends, as well as during holiday seasons
Interested candidates should submit a resume and three references by 11/7.
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.