Storycatchers Theatre is looking for a Teaching Artist who will perform supporting roles and coach justice-involved youth (ages 13-18) in the rehearsal and performance of an original piece of musical theatre crafted from their personal stories.
This person will perform onstage inside a youth justice facility as well as be responsible for helping youth through the acting and singing process, often through one-on-one conversations about the script, character development, motivations, emotions, movement and developing a stage presence.
We’re looking for a person to play various African American female roles. This role is hired through an interview process – not an audition. However, we may ask for performance samples or other proof of performance experience.
The required dates of program attendance: Sept. 25th – Nov. 17th, 2019
Rehearsals: Mondays and Wednesdays 2:30-10pm, Sunday 12-5pm.
Daytime performances: November 13, 14, 16, 17
We may be able to be flexible around some conflicts.
- Perform onstage in a singing and acting role.
Provide participants with individual acting and movement coaching, character development and script coaching as needed.
- Support participants onstage as an ensemble leader; manage onstage entrances and exits as needed.
- Provide emotional support to participants as needed; model professional rehearsal demeanor
- Work with other Teaching Artists to create and maintain a safe, positive program environment for all participants.
- Act as a role-model for participants by being on time to all rehearsal calls and touring calls as
well as maintaining a mature, respectful and patient demeanor.
- Be on time to all program sessions, meetings and teaching artist trainings.
- Be proactive about maintaining a working rehearsal space, including participation in setup and breakdown of rehearsal elements.
Essential skills and qualifications.
- Able to act and sing in a musical theatre style at a professional level.
- Experience using techniques and processes that can help youth perform onstage.
- Experience working with youth between the ages of 13-18.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
About Storycatchers Theatre.
For 34 years, Storycatchers Theatre has been empowering court-involved youth to craft and perform musical theatre from their own personal stories of growing up in Illinois’ underserved neighborhoods. Using an award-winning and transformational writing methodology, these youth develop the skills needed to successfully re-enter society and move beyond their histories to become peer mentors, civic influencers and agents of change in our community.
Please email brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org