With a mission to “unite Chicago in the spirit of community through amazing feats of storytelling,” The House is Chicago’s premier home for original works of epic story and stagecraft. We consider our audience a primary component in our productions, and bring our design aesthetics and inclusive approach to the audience experience for every show.
The Director of Development supports the mission and programming of The House by cultivating and generating contributed income from individual donors, major donors, institutional and government grantors, corporate sponsors, and special events. This role is ideal for a candidate who is enthusiastic about supporting the growth of innovative experiences in Chicago’s diverse theatre industry. The position provides opportunity for growth as The House continues planned institutional growth in the coming years.
The Development Director works closely with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, and The House Board of Directors. The position is supported by a shared part-time Audience Services Coordinator and a fundraising intern. The Development Director will have the opportunity to strategically grow the fundraising department in the near future.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing a comprehensive annual fundraising plan for The House that aligns with the company’s unique needs, programming model, resources and assets.
- Setting, reporting on, re-projecting and achieving the contributed income budgeted goals for The House annual operating budget.
- Innovating strategies and tactics to grow contributed income year over year.
- Composing grant applications and reports, as well as cultivating relationships with granting organizations to understand their giving priorities and match appropriate programs with The House’s activities.
- Develop and execute a corporate relationships program, including stewardship and cultivation events, resulting in advocacy, in-kind donations and sponsorships.
- Improve upon and execute The House’s current individual and major donor campaign strategies.
- In partnership with Marketing and Audience Development, foster a culture of philanthropy, and create an individual donor funnel to guide guests from single ticket buyers to donors.
- Plan and execute all fundraising and cultivation events, including annual gala, fall benefit, board and VIP events, and one-off fundraisers.
- Sustain positive relationships with key constituencies: the board, major donors, company members, patrons and guests, artists, vendors and the larger Chicago artistic community.
- Support and embody the mission of The House.
Through our programming and operations, The House strives to achieve inclusive artistic practices that promote inclusive institutional structures. We seek to build a diverse team. Candidates from all ethnicities, racial backgrounds, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of professionalism and efficiency.
- Experience with CRM fundraising database software platforms.
- The ability to work independently and maintain multiple priorities and deadlines.
- A sense of humor and ability to thrive in cyclical, face-paced environment.
- A passion for the arts and experience in arts administration, fundraising or marketing.
- Proven ability to use Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel) and Google web apps.
- Paid vacation and sick days.
- Paid parental leave policy.
- Access to an employee-funded group health plan.
- Complimentary tickets to performances at The House.
This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Managing Director.
Please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format with your name in the title of the PDF, with at least two references to Erik Schroeder email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org