The House Theatre of Chicago seeks a Host for The Magic Parlour, their long-running, weekly magic show at the Palmer House hotel.
The House is Chicago’s premier home for original works of epic storytelling and stagecraft. We consider our audience a primary component in our productions, and bring our design aesthetics and inclusive approach to the audience experience for every show.
The Magic Parlour is an intimate evening of classic magic and mind-reading featuring the work of third-generation magician Dennis Watkins. This one-of-a-kind Chicago event, produced by The House Theatre of Chicago, plays every Friday and Saturday at the Palmer House hotel.
The Magic Parlour Host is the on-site connection for guests of this upscale event, executing all front-of-house and box office tasks during show calls. The Host also supports the production and performer with stage management and administrative responsibilities during show calls.
The Magic Parlour is an open run production, and we are seeking candidates looking for long-term contract work. Ideal candidates will have experience in upscale service industry work. This position is not ideal for candidates with active performance schedules in other venues.
This is a part-time position. Ideal candidates will have flexible weekend schedules and be available to work for at least 2-3 shifts per month (a standard, four-week month has 8 shifts). Scheduling is posted on a month-to-month basis. This position has extended hours during the holiday season.
This position reports to the Audience Services Manager, and the magician.
- Sets up hotel ballroom for guests and performer, including proper seat count, signage, merchandise, programs, room dressing, and minimal stage items.
- Communicates with hotel staff regarding set up, self-serve bar, and check in
- Receives all guests at will call, communicating the flow of the evening at check in; sells any walk up tickets to last-minute guests.
- Coordinates guest transport from will call to performance room, and supports the general admission seating process with magician at showtime
- Assists guests and hotel floor staff with self-service bar in performance room
- Addresses all guest questions and concerns before, during and after the performances
- Gives the welcome curtain speech introducing the show
- Responds to any patron needs or disruptions as a House Manager throughout the show
- Resets the room between shows
- Reports on the shows to the House staff via email, including sales, guest issues, production issues.
- Break down and return to storage for next show.
- A bachelor’s degree
- A general understanding and genuine appreciation of performing arts
- Impeccable in-person communication skills, and personal presentation
- Experience in customer service and money handling in a point-of-sale system
- Strong ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in managing crowds, and/or VIP guests, ideally an event, hotel, or upscale dining setting.
This position works on-site at the Palmer House hotel venue.
Competitive flat rate per show call. This is a contract position, requiring primarily Friday nights, and Saturday afternoon & nights. Additional private performances may require hours outside of Fridays and Saturdays. Expanded holiday calendar includes Thanksgiving weekend, and Christmas weekend, and candidates MUST be available for holiday-adjacent performances.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Candidates will send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject Magic Parlour Host Candidate 2019.
No phone calls, please.