The House Theatre of Chicago’s internship program is designed to provide a collaborative, entrepreneurial experience for aspiring young theatremakers. The House is looking for undergraduate students and recent college graduates interested in learning about and participating in the day-to-day functions of a growing professional theater. Our interns work directly with their department directors to advance the initiatives of each department, and collaboratively across departments with other staff and members of their internship class.
This position will work closely with the Director of Development to support key administrative functions within the organization.
Mid-September to Early January with some flexibility on dates: 10-12 hours per week. Most work should take place on weekdays during normal office hours (Monday-Friday between 9a-5p). Minimum ten (10) weeks. Approximately 12-20 hours per week on weekdays during normal office hours (Monday-Friday between 9a-5p), with additional hours for special events and rehearsal/performance attendance.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Interest in theatre management/administration as a career
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, and comfort in communicating with patrons and supporters
- Ability to work independently and manage deadlines
- Keen attention to detail
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and Word and Google Drive
- Develop, implement and evaluate systems to ensure an efficient workplace.
- Assist in researching prospects for donor cultivation
- Support special events including:
- Special event fundraiser (September 26)
- Production opening nights (November 16)
- Support documentation and administration of education initiatives.
- Prepare and send donors communications.
- Log donor activities and updates into Total Info software.
- Tickets to House productions
- Experience working in an open learning environment for a nonprofit arts organization
- An opportunity to meet and work with established artists, nonprofit professionals and our outstanding board of directors.
- Possibility of college credit
Please submit resume and cover letter as PDFs via email to Erin at thehousetheatre.com. No phone calls, please.