Job Title: Artistic Director, The Second City Training Center, Chicago
Job location: Chicago
Job Type: Full time
ABOUT THE SECOND CITY
Dedicated to entertaining, inspiring, and transforming through courageous comedy, The Second City is the premier brand in improv-based sketch comedy. With sold-out shows playing seven days a week on ten stages in Chicago and Toronto, Second City’s Touring and Theatrical companies entertain an additional one million theatergoers a year around the globe. The Second City Training Center is the largest school of improvisation-based arts on the planet, with locations in Chicago, Toronto, and Los Angeles that serve 11,000 students annually. In 2016, the Harold Ramis Film launched, becoming the world’s only film school dedicated to comedy. Second City Works, the B2B side of Second City, has brought award-winning improvisation and audience-driven techniques to over 600 Fortune 1000 companies, challenging businesses seeking a more collaborative culture to innovate through development programs, original digital and video content, campaign consultation, private events, and more. Second City Entertainment’s foray into television and media continues to produce new content and programming, including two-time Emmy winner SCTV and the upcoming Martin Scorsese-helmed Netflix documentary exploring the iconic series’ enduring legacy. Founded in 1959, The Second City continues to grow rapidly in size and influence by upholding five core values: performance; ensemble; diversity and inclusion; resiliency; and authenticity.
The Artistic Director is the visionary of the Training Center who will be incharge of the artistic direction of the Training Center at The Second City, Chicago.
This is a Full-time senior management position responsible for developing and implementing programming to grow The Second City Training Center Chicago.
The successful candidate will work in three main areas:
- Be an innovator for growth and change in our organization. This includes creation of new ideas, recruitment of new people, and seeking out new partners.
- Focus on delivering a high-quality experience to our students. This includes the modernization of curriculum, and the management of our Program Head team and faculty.
- Keep a connection to the artistic vision of the company, and serve as an advocate for our students to work in our theaters and film projects.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities Include (but not limited to)
- Identify growth areas for the Training Center, and align the resources (faculty, technology, etc) needed to drive new enrollments or partnerships
- Present growth opportunities bi-weekly to VP and ownership. Identify key tactics (“rocks”) to reach goals and track accordingly on a weekly basis for VP to communicate up to executive team and ownership.
- Work with the VP of the Training Center, Los Angeles Artistic Director, Toronto Artistic Director and Chicago Program
- Heads to set specific goals for each calendar year
- Attend Orientation and lead Welcome Session
- Attend and offer feedback on Training Center related performances, and work with Program Heads to assure quality and mission
- Attend and/or run auditions related to training center programs
- Work with the Diversity and Inclusion department to advance the goals of making Second City a stronger, braver, and more diverse community.
- Be an adviser and final arbiter (in conjunction with VP and HR when necessary) of issues involving faculty and/or students – including but not limited to issues of harassment, dissatisfaction, tension/frustration, content appropriateness, teaching/learning style, etc.
- Represent the Training Center and Second City in media and press when requested
- Consult and Coordinate with the Harold Ramis Film School & DePaul University to help monitor quality, curriculum, faculty, students, admissions, and overall branding/reputation
- Attend and participate in meetings as-needed, such as: TC staff meeting, Artistic Directors Meeting, Program-Specific Meetings, etc.
Management of Faculty
Work with Program Heads to recruit, hire, train, and mentor training center faculty
Design and run All-Faculty meetings and Development Sessions
Oversee the evaluation of training center program heads
Participate in appropriate faculty reviews
The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree in theatre with intensive focus on improvisation. He/ she/ they should have been teaching improvisation for a minimum of 5 years and should also have a minimum of 5 years management experience. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of Second City’s process and an understanding of the company as a whole. Excellent communication and leadership skills are required for this position.
We are an open, inclusive workplace and welcome applicants who bring along with them diverse life experiences, including every permutation of economic and cultural backgrounds, orientation, ethnicity and points of view. We strive to continue our efforts to work with people who may otherwise be marginalized or underrepresented in our business and around our community.
All candidates for this role will be asked to authorize a background check and must be 21 and older.
The Second City is an e-verify employer. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Your employment is contingent upon employment authorization from e-verify.
Please apply through our careers page at: https://www.secondcity.com/teams/careers/
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com