Victory Gardens Theater seeks a Assistant Technical Director for our 2019-2020 Season consisting of 5 mainstage productions performing in the Začek McVay Theater. Reporting to the Technical Director, the ATD assists the Technical Director with the safe planning, building, installing, maintenance, and strike of productions and events. In addition, the ATD assists with equipment, inventory, facilities maintenance, and ensuring workplace health and safety.
Victory Gardens Theater is a leader in developing and producing new theater work and cultivating an inclusive theater community. We nurture and produce dynamic, inspiring new plays and artists to engage diverse communities and reflect the diversity of our city’s and nation’s culture.
· Assist Technical Director in estimating labor and materials needs for all productions
· Review, interpret, and troubleshoot design and working drawings to asses practical feasibility and ensure necessary information is communicated to scenic carpenters
· Assist with creating of working drawings
· Assist with scheduling and supervision of scenic crews for build, load-in, notes, technical rehearsal, and strikes of all productions
· Source, price, and acquire construction materials
· Create and implement plan for maintenance of all shop equipment
· Monitor and maintain inventory of materials and hardware at scene shop and theater to ensure efficient workflow
· Support Technical Director and Production Management with other duties as assigned
· Lead load-ins, notes, and strike calls and attend production meetings as requested
· Serve at Technical Director in their absence as requested
· Work with the Assistant Production Manager on tracking and reconciling of all purchases and expenses
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· BA/BFA in Technical Direction or three-plus years of professional theatrical construction experience with leadership experience
· Scenic Carpentry (including wood and metal work), theatrical rigging, and leadership skills
· Ability to read and interpret technical drawings
· Strong problem solving skills and an ability to research and develop new techniques/materials
· Demonstrated ability to work on multiple and on-going projects to achieve the highest standards
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Knowledge of safety policies and procedures within a scene shop and theater environments
· Able to lift, push, pull or otherwise maneuver up to 50lbs repeatedly
· Able to sit, stand, or walk for long periods of time
· Able to work in dusty or noisy environments
· Able to work at heights, on ladders, or mechanical lifts
· Valid Drivers license and able to safely operate a motor vehicle
· Available to work some evenings and weekends
· AutoCAD drafting skills preferred
This is a part-time, hourly position.
Victory Gardens Theater provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and application for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law, requirements, Victory Gardens Theater complies with applicable stage and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and consideration of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Qualified applicants should submit a short cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Erica L. Sandvig, Production Manager
Please include Assistant Technical Director in the subject line. Please note in your email where you learned of this job opportunity.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
To apply for this job email your details to ProductionJobs@VictoryGardens.org