Victory Gardens Theater
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Chay Yew and Managing Director Erica Daniels, Victory Gardens Theater is dedicated to artistic excellence while creating a vital, contemporary American Theater that is accessible and relevant to all people through quality productions of challenging new plays and musicals.
Victory Gardens is a leader in developing and producing new theatre work and cultivating an inclusive theater community. The theater’s core strengths are nurturing and producing dynamic and inspiring new plays, reflecting the diversity of our city’s and nation’s culture through engaging diverse communities, and in partnership with Chicago Public Schools, bringing art and culture to our city’s active student population.
The Production Manager is a department head level position, reporting to both the Artistic and Managing Directors, who oversees the daily operations and administration of the production department.
In close collaboration with the production department heads, the PM is responsible for all production activity and all production personnel.
The PM directly oversees the current staff (Technical Director, Properties Master and Production Engineer) and Stage Managers to produce 5 Mainstage Productions, Town Halls, Ignition Festival of new plays, co-productions, as well as public programs, resident companies, rentals, and for any and all Victory Gardens related activities.
The PM and production staff collaborated throughout the Theater in the production of events throughout the season.
The PM also would oversee production transfers of any kind.
In collaboration with the Artistic Director, the PM contacts, contracts and collaborates with the design teams for all VG Productions and any and all VG related activities.
With the Managing Director and Finance Director, the PM is responsible for production department budgetary performance. The PM works closely with the Theater’s leadership to ensure the balance of artistic quality, personnel, budget and schedule.
- Works collaboratively with VG production department staff, organizational staff and guest artists to achieve the highest possible artistic standards within VG’s financial, material and human resources available.
- Develops, maintains, and administers annual production budgets, individual production budgets, departmental personnel and capital budgets.
- Oversees production related activities for productions and events in VG’s venues as well as working with Resident Companies, Rentals, possible transfers, and any and all VG related activities.
- Schedules and/or runs departmental meetings including: design meetings, production meetings, technical rehearsal schedules, production department heads meeting, etc. PM also manages production process to meet deadlines and benchmarks set in the production calendar
- In collaboration with Artistic Director, contacts, contracts and collaborates with design teams for each production.
- To achieve the overall goals of the theatre, fosters positive working relationships between production departments and all other VG departments through excellent and timely inter-departmental communication.
- With the Managing Director, Artistic Director and Director of Audience Experience, coordinates the creation of the annual production schedule which may include department heads and input from many organizational leaders.
- Hires, supervises and evaluates production department heads (as outlined above).
- Leads all production department near and long-term planning initiatives.
- Ensures that all production department work environments are safe, humane, and respectful.
- For all communiques (email, voicemail, memos), PM will be in accordance with professional standards.
- Oversees logistics, schedules and budgets for all production facilities and operations.
- Contacts, contracts and oversees all specialists for each production (e.g. fight director, dialect coach, child supervisor, musical director, etc.) and any VG related activity.
- Oversee Theatre Maintenance and repair (i.e. light board). Meeting deadlines for the purchasing and/or acquisition of needed equipment and lighting supplies.
- The inspection and overhaul of all equipment to be used in the show.
- The training of board/follow spot/equipment operators.
- Liaison with resident companies and rental production managers.
- Assist in overseeing Rental companies.
• Salary is competitive within the non-profit performing arts industry and commensurate with qualification and experience. Excellent benefits package.
• Victory Gardens Theater provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Victory Gardens Theater complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Qualified and interested candidates should send a letter of interest and confidential resume, salary history/requirements and one writing sample to:
Subject: Production Manager
Deadline to Apply: February 18, 2019
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com