Website Writers Theatre
ABOUT WRITERS THEATRE
Writers Theatre (WT) is a nationally-recognized, award-winning theatre company located on the North Shore of Chicago with an annual, pre-pandemic operating budget of approximately $6.5 million. Known for the consistent high quality and intimacy of its productions, WT is focused on the power of the written word and dedicated to the artists who bring that word to life. The company has produced over 120 productions—everything from inventive interpretations of classics to groundbreaking new work. In February 2016, WT opened a new, state-of-the-art theatre center in downtown Glencoe, designed by the award-winning, internationally renowned Studio Gang Architects. Now celebrating its 30th season, WT annually welcomes more than 60,000 patrons, engages an average of 10,000 students through its Education programs, and has helped establish the North Shore as a premier cultural destination.
Writers Theatre seeks an Audience Experience Associate to coordinate front of house operations during performances and special events and will collaborate with the Box Office and Stage Management staff to maintain smooth front-facing operations and provide industry-leading customer service, with the ultimate goal of maximizing the customer experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as House Manager for public performances and special events.
- Coordinate with box office staff on seating holds and patron information.
- Assist patrons with questions, accessibility needs and/or seating issues.
- Train and manage volunteer ushers on a nightly basis.
- Communicate with stage management staff on nightly operations schedule (house opening, start of performance, late seating).
- If the production allows, late seat patrons after the performance begins.
- Monitor activity during performances.
- Communicate and assist with security and emergency incidents.
- Prepare House Manager and Concessions performance reports
- Operate WT Digital Signage during performances and special events, as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness of Front of House areas including lobby, restrooms, concession center, and other public spaces.
- Assist with other duties, as assigned.
- Provide Bar/Concessions service for public performances and special events.
- Set up and tear down bar, including displays, concessions, and drink preparation.
- Assist patrons with concessions and drink selections, providing descriptions and suggestions
- Process payments through Square POS system.
- Prepare and deliver pre-order intermission drinks and concessions.
- Track concessions inventory and communicate restocking needs.
- Prepare and reconcile concessions sales reports.
- Ensure displays and lobby areas are clean and accessible.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Top level customer service experience required.
- Experience in theatrical operations preferred.
- Bartending or foodservice experience a plus.
- Outgoing, accessible personality with the ability to speak in front of people.
- Superior organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to multi-task.
- Professional demeanor while working under pressure.
- Experience with POS systems a plus.
- Strong interest in and passion for live theatre.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- BASSET and Food Handlers’ certifications preferred; training will be provided to selected candidate.
- Afternoon, evening and weekend availability is required and will be taken into serious consideration when selecting candidates.
- Must be able to comply with organizational COVID safety policies and procedures
- A commitment to ethical conduct in all aspects of the work environment
- A commitment to creating a just, equitable and inclusive work environment
- A commitment to the protection of confidential information to which this position has access
Writers Theatre requires proof of vaccination and face coverings for all employees.
This is a part-time, hourly position with paid sick days and the option to opt into the company’s 403(b) retirement plan (with employer match). Starting rate is $15/hour.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
WT is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as promoting a safe, supportive and collaborative work environment conducive to professional and personal growth. A successful candidate will share these values.
WT is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Additional information about WT’s commitment to providing a safe and supportive workplace can be found at writerstheatre.org/working-at-wt
Please send a resume plus an expression of interest (video, audio, written) that speak to interests, skills, accomplishments, and characteristics that distinguish yourself to Jason Vences at email@example.com.
Please include in the subject line of the email “Audience Experience Associate Application”. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org