Website Writers Theatre
ABOUT WRITERS THEATRE
Writers Theatre (WT) is a nationally-recognized, award-winning theatre company located on the North Shore of Chicago with an annual, pre-pandemic operating budget of approximately $6.5 million. Known for the consistent high quality and intimacy of its productions, WT is focused on the power of the written word and dedicated to the artists who bring that word to life. The company has produced over 120 productions—everything from inventive interpretations of classics to groundbreaking new work. In February 2016, WT opened a new, state-of-the-art theatre center in downtown Glencoe, designed by the award-winning, internationally renowned Studio Gang Architects. Now celebrating its 30th season, WT annually welcomes more than 60,000 patrons, engages an average of 10,000 students through its Education programs, and has helped establish the North Shore as a premier cultural destination.
Writers Theatre seeks an Audience Experience Lead to be responsible for maintaining a high-level patron experience in all of our spaces and guide part-time Audience Experience Associates in being successful in their roles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as Manager on Duty during performances.
- Maintain clean and safe lobby, bar, restrooms, seating area, and front of building.
- Keep intermissions to within allotted time.
- Manage and report incidents, as necessary.
- Be an engaging and welcoming presence with our patrons.
- Assist Audience Experience Manager with training of new Audience Experience staff and execute training refreshers with staff as necessary.
- Maintain high customer service standards at the bar and in the theatre.
- Serve as House Manager and/or bartender, as necessary.
- Work with Audience Experience Manager to maintain and expand access services.
- Ensure appropriate accommodations are made for patrons based on weekly ADA report.
- Manage audience engagement events.
- Manage building rental events.
- Maintain print material in lobby displays; order more materials as necessary.
- 2 years of high-level customer service experience required.
- Knowledge of proper bar and food sanitation practices and BASSET and Food Handlers’ certifications preferred; training and certification will be provided to selected candidate.
- Experience in bartending a plus.
- Outgoing, accessible personality.
- Comfortable with meeting deadlines and maintaining a professional demeanor while working under pressure.
- Afternoon, evening and weekend availability is required and will be taken into serious consideration when selecting candidates.
- Strong interest in and passion for live theatre.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to comply with organizational COVID safety policies and procedures.
- A commitment to ethical conduct in all aspects of the work environment
- A commitment to creating a just, equitable and inclusive work environment
- A commitment to the protection of confidential information to which this position has access
Writers Theatre requires proof of vaccination and face coverings for all employees.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
WT is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as promoting a safe, supportive and collaborative work environment conducive to professional and personal growth. A successful candidate will share these values.
WT is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Additional information about WT’s commitment to providing a safe and supportive workplace can be found at writerstheatre.org/working-at-wt
This is a part-time, hourly position with paid sick days and the option to opt into the company’s 403(b) retirement plan (with employer match). Starting rate is $17/hour.
Please send a resume plus an expression of interest (video, audio, written) that speak to interests, skills, accomplishments, and characteristics that distinguish yourself to Jason Vences at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in the subject line of the email “Audience Experience Lead Application”. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com