Website Writers Theatre
Position: Wardrobe Crew
Reports to: Stage Manager
Classification: Part Time; Hourly
Rate: $17 Hourly
Start Date: Week of September 19, 2022
About Writers Theatre
Writers Theatre (WT) is a nationally-recognized, award-winning theatre company located on the North Shore of Chicago with a pre-pandemic annual operating budget of $6.5 Million. Known for the consistent high quality and intimacy of its productions, WT is focused on the power of the written word and dedicated to the artists who bring that word to life. Having captivated audiences for years with its commitment to creating the most intimate theatrical experience possible, the theatre is now a major Chicagoland cultural destination with a national reputation for excellence, being called “America’s finest regional theater company” by The Wall Street Journal. Under the leadership of Executive Director Kathryn M. Lipuma and Interim Artistic Director Bobby Kennedy, the company is charting a path forward for its future.
Writers Theatre seeks Wardrobe Crew for an upcoming production. Position is paid a 32-hourly weekly minimum provided that all shows are run in a given week.
First rehearsal – 8/30/22
Tech begins – 9/22/22
Final Dress – 9/28/22
1st Preview – 9/29/22
Opening – 10/7/22
Closing – week of 10/30/22
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the Costume Supervisor and the Production team to rehearse and mount the show.
- Maintain costumes as determined by the Costume Supervisor including nightly laundry and weekly dry cleaning.
- Checking costume repair list outside of the Costume Shop and adding any given by an actor to repair prior to the next performance when possible.
- Making sure all laundry is dry and ironed, steamed, and put away and the show is ready to go 1hr prior to curtain.
- Take notes during production meetings during tech and previews, discussing with the Costume Supervisor.
- Set up a spot in the off-stage area with any items necessary to perform nightly duties.
- Collaborate with Technical Director to establish quick change areas back and offstage
- Keep a “bible” with the script, contact sheet, production schedule and any pertinent information in the Wardrobe Room.
- Keep an updated costume change sheet with detailed notations of where and when it occurs and costume piece order, printed and in the Wardrobe Room.
- Assist actors at half hour with any hair, makeup, or dressing needs.
- Stay actively present in the Wardrobe Room in case an actor needs something.
- Stitching skills including hand and machine
- Knowledge of steam irons and steamers
- Familiarity with fabrics
- Ability to perform costume changes which may include the ability to climb, squat, kneel, and reach.
- Comfortability working closely with actors and establishing boundaries
- Some knowledge of wig and hair maintenance
- Compassionate and tactful communicator
- Strong organizational, leadership, and time management skills
- Must be able to comply with organizational COVID safety policies and procedures
- A commitment to ethical conduct in all aspects of the work environment
- A commitment to creating a just, equitable and inclusive work environment
- A commitment to the protection of confidential information to which this position has access
Writers Theatre requires proof of vaccination and face coverings for all employees.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
WT is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as promoting a safe, supportive, and collaborative work environment conducive to professional and personal growth. A successful candidate will share these values.
WT is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, or veteran status.
Please find more information on our culture and specific policies at the following links:
Please send a resume to Kelly Crook, Assistant Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in the subject line of the email "Wardrobe Crew 2022" and in the body of the email indicate how you learned of the position. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job please visit www.writerstheatre.org.